Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Rejected!

I do love one thing about my blog...

A couple of years ago, I blogged about something political and someone actually took the time to comment that "your liberal views are scary."

SCARY?

You mean 9/11 and our response to it wasn't scary enough? Now I'm scary for saying the war is wrong?

(It's still wrong).

Anyway, this afternoon I got two rapid-fire posts to my blog, which have to come through my e-mail for approval or rejection (along with their buried IP address, BUMMER!).

I'm proud to say that 99% of the time, I do approve them.

But today, with a hand gesture that resembles me flushing a toilet (along with accompanying "WHOOSH" I hit the "REJECT" button and gave a little laugh.

The funny thing was, they were ragging about my copy and paste job of The Nation article about Sarah Palin's attempt to ban books at her local library.

I guess they thought I wrote that all by myself, which I didn't. But I would have been proud to have produced that piece of journalism in particular.

Then the mysterious blogger decided to do it again and point out that I (apparently) am being "selective" by not addressing Obama's affiliation with the Rev. Wright in Chicago, a man who was first cited as a close friend, but later as it came to light that Rev. Wright was something of a Black Man's answer to Jerry Falwell in his inflammatory remarks, Obama distanced himself.

So far, I am pretty sure I have my facts straight...

I am not sure WHAT that has to do with Sarah Palin's book banning attempts.

I do know that she DOES have a journalism degree from the University of Idaho, and even a small school like that one would have addressed the First Amendment, and as a former journalism student myself, I'd even venture to guess she was required to produce at least one paper concerning a free press and the case law against the government's intrusion on that Right.

How that reflects back on Obama and Rev. Wright's friendship and his church attendance, I do not know.

I can only say that my own father was a Pastor, and despite him being a great guy who loved people and taught about Jesus' love for us, he had some views that were considered "radical" for the old timers sitting in the Lutheran pews he preached to. In fact, he left one church in particular because of his views, and I'm sure more than a few people distanced themselves from him for his beliefs (even if they were misunderstood).

I'm not sure what my little friend's point was in all that. So far it has nothing to do with his qualifications to be President in my eyes.

You see, you DO have to take into consideration people's affiliations in church, friendships and workplaces. You bet you do.

But what really makes me laugh is how many people said Barack Obama "wasn't Black enough", and when they get a few tapes of a raucous Black congregation, they go off the deep end.

Whoa, people said. Maybe that's Blacker than we really wanted. Can we get him to be whiter now? We liked the Bryant Gumble version of Barack Obama.

And here's the shocker: A lot of what Rev. Wright said are things I actually agree with -- including the inflammatory anti-white stuff. In fact, I'd dare say he nailed it pretty well. It isn't that what he said was so much wrong, as it was just plain angry.

I'm not saying it was all ok either. Some of it did go off the deep end.

For that reason I get it that Barack Obama had to distance himself for fear of alienating people who wouldn't understand Rev. Wright's blustering. For the SAME reason Sarah Palin (regardless of what she actually believes) will distance herself as much as she can from every scandal including her book banning, right-wing Christian church-going speech on the record.

In the end, the arguments are no longer me vs. some right winger who believes Palin's the best thing to happen to the women's movement since the washing machine.

It comes down to the undecideds who have to make choices not on these people that both parties are intent on making look bad.

They have to decide: 4 more years of Bushisms, with a "hockey Mom" who's incapable of personal responsibility (much less legal knowledge) presiding over the Senate, waiting in the wings for McCain to die (which he has a high probability of doing);

Or take a leap of faith that isn't that big of a leap at all, towards a man who has studied the law, served in the Senate, and actually wants to do something to end this war, start working on climate change, and not set women's rights back 50 years, while working to make our children's futures brighter?

For me the choice is easy.

Kids: remember this is my blog. It's my little section of the world where I get to say what I want, how I want. I try not to name-call, or make fun of people. At least not with any ripping animosity. Do your best to temper your comments so I don't have to flush you down the blogosphere's 'loo too.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net