Monday, September 24, 2007

We Are The Luckiest, Most Blessed People...


There is something insular and other-worldly about a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

We are in a large urban hospital, with many many beds of sick babies in their NICU, and many parents coming and going.

But Brian and I are one of the few who are there almost around the clock.

The kid next to us, we couldn't help but overhear the parents telling the nurse that they were there for "just an hour" and that they couldn't come back until TUESDAY to see their baby again!

I couldn't help but wonder if they were from out of town, or what other impediment there could possibly be to her parents being able to spend time with her.

When I heard this, Brian and I realized just how blessed we are to have all the help, love and support of family and friends so we can spend as much time as possible with our girl.

My Mom has been an absolute champion supporter -- leaving her home down in Sheridan to spend nights with our sister-in-law Julie nearby -- buying us groceries, food, some post-partum clothes for me, and just plain "being there" for us. Anytime, anywhere, Mom's willing and able to help us. She personifies the best Mom an adult daughter can wish for.

My sister Jill, who's visited us every weekend and also helped with so many things...my shower, and again, just being there for us.

Jeff (my brother) and Judy (Brian's sister) who are married to each other, who have moved their schedules around to let Mom go...who moved out of their room so that when Nora comes home with us, we have a nice quiet spot where we can have our first weeks with her.

My niece Miriam, who's grabbed the reins of organizing our nursery. She's been fabulous!

And my mother and father-in-law, who have helped us tremendously with COBRA payments so all of this is stress-free healthcare. Amazing support!

And Julie, my SIL who has had more guests than she can probably count, since her home is five minutes from the hospital. She's done so much for us, and continues to
support us.

Finally, I can't leave out my PALP sisters who call, send cards, and help us out in so many ways!

I've got 5 minutes to get in to feed Nora so I hope I haven't left anyone key out...but just so you know, if you're in our corner, we appreciate all of you!

All of you make it possible for us to be here fully for our little angel! We love you guys.

3 comments:

Timestep said...

I've often thought how amazing it was that life ended up with you moving closer to home. When all that happened this spring/summer, I know that it was just something that happened. Yet, it seems to have been the best thing that could ever have happened.

I'm so grateful that you have so much support, and able to spend all this time with Little Nora.

She is just cute as a button!!

Grow, Nora, Grow!

Tammy said...

Blessings abound... all the way around. Love you!

Crystal said...

Jules!! I am in tears. With everything going on (moving, new job, etc) I haven't had a chance to check on you. I am in tears and I am so happy for you and your family. You have a beautiful little girl! Your husband looks so proud!

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net