Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hitting Our Groove

This morning at 3 a.m., I went to the NICU and this is the face I had to greet me! She actually looked a lot happier, but when the camera came out, I got this little look of scorn on her face. She apparently doesn't like it much, since she's never sure if the flash is going to be used. Miss Nora definitely does NOT like the flash.

But she was pretty cheerful this morning, even through the diaper change, which usually has her screaming.

I had a new NICU nurse who left us alone so quickly that I suddenly realized that Nora and I were alone alone, for the very first time! No one was there to make sure she latched on for nursing, and so I just said "Well, Miss Nora, it's you and me!" and we got going with eating and snuggling.

It was a precious hour of Mommy and Daughter just spending time by ourselves and getting to know each other.

When the nurse came back and heard me singing and talking to her, she said "There aren't any bonding problems here!"

How can you not bond with that face?


I went back to the room around 4 a.m. and slept for several hours before my Mom came in. We went to her 9 a.m. feeding, and Mom tried to disappear to "give us space."

I asked Brian to get her into our room, and that's when I got up and had Mom sit down in my seat...I handed Nora over to her before she could protest too much (Nora technically is only supposed to be held by her parents, why I don't know yet). It was so neat to watch her hold her grandbaby for the first time!

She's wearing a hat my friend Teri gave her, and the onesie sleeper Judy bought for her at Carters. There's very little that we own that's small enough, but she should grow into the rest of her preemie clothes soon.

Nursing is getting easier. Nora is spending lots of time there, and I'm pumping too, so we're getting going with it. It's a very special experience, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it or not, so its been a very pleasant surprise that it's worked out as well as it has with a preemie!

3 comments:

Shiela Lee said...

She looks like E.T. with her little glowing finger! LOL

Man, every one of your updates sounds even better than the one before!

I'm so excited for you and B to take your girlie home and be a family w/o onlookers!!

tims_mom said...

I just LOVE reading these updates....my heart melts each time I see pictures of your beautiful little girl. The pictures of Nora with your Mom, always make me tear up.....they are so so precious.

Nancy

MissHelen said...

Jules, you and Brian look so over-the-moon happy!! I can't tell you how absolutely thrilled and relieved and thankful I am for the two of you. Thank you for sharing your pictures and your experiences with us all. It's been so much fun to read and see your pictures. What a lucky little girl to have you two...and she's just BEAUTIFUL.

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net