Saturday, January 14, 2006

GO BRONCOS!

 

Yes, Broncos Broncos Broncos.

Let me tell you a story. I was a young girl of about 16 when I first came to Denver to visit. My best friend from the 4th & 5th grades moved back out here with her parents to Brighton, and I flew out one summer to spend a week with her and her family. One of the last days I was here, her Dad drove us to Denver, and to Mile High Stadium we went.

It was 1983, and the rookie John Elway was signed to play for the Broncos -- and the town was so excited about the promise of the young Stanford alum.

I had never seen another NFL game, but I knew that the 22 or 23-year-old John Elway, in the eyes of a 16-year old, was quite the stud. So, I became a Bronco fan without really needing much encouragement.

I didn't live in Denver in 1997 and 1998, when they last won a Super Bowl. But due to my early exposure to Denver Bronco fanatacism, I was a huge fan of theirs already.

Tonight, here I am in my adopted Mile High City enjoying a simple playoff game.

We beat the 2-time champion New England Patriots tonight, in a nail-biting, Corona-drinking fest that has left me with a headache before I even go to bed.

But I'll suffer through any hangover, and the bare knuckles it took to consistently knock on wood (I'm very superstitious, so once something apparently silly appears to work, I keep doing it, like "knocking on wood" each time we're at the line of scrimmage, and talking directly at Tom Brady, who seemed to be able to hear me).

Call me OCD if you like.

But it worked.

Like a charm.

Days like this make me love football. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net