Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Buy A Vowell

I've recently become a big fan of Sarah Vowell...a youngish writer who I've seen interviewed several times on TV.

She's quirky.

She's a historian.

She's hilarious.

Yes, that's right...a hilarious historian.

Sarah has written a number of books on American history, including one on the assassination attempts against American Presidents called "Assassination Vacation".

I remember listening to her get interviewed...she has a dry sarcastic wit that just had me rolling.

She's recently written a book called "The Wordy Shipmates" about the Puritans who came over to the New World, and how misunderstood they were.

"My Puritans," as Vowell calls them, were not the "generic, boring, stupid, judgmental killjoys" history makes them out to be.

"Because to me, they are very specific, fascinating, sometimes brilliant, judgmental killjoys who rarely agreed on anything except that Catholics are going to hell," Vowell writes in her new book.

Anyway, take a look.

Buy a Vowell.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net