Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Blog That Makes Me Squirm

I know I'm prattling on about politics a lot these days...And I'm sorry for those who are Republicans who still like me anyways, who come here for pictures of Nora and end up reading my political diatribes, or scanning and avoiding them.

I've lost friends in this election cycle. I've never lost friends over it before.

I know part of it is that I've been part of some boards where politics used to be banned entirely, so I didn't really know where people stood, and we just didn't talk about stuff, so there was little to get divided over.

These same message boards have been sources of support for me as I've gone through pregnancy loss after pregnancy loss, so it's almost impossible for me to turn my back on anyone from there.

Still, sadly, some people have chosen to turn their backs on me, and some of my Democrat friends. While retreating into a domain where they can feel supported, they close the very doors that allow open respectful debate.

It feels better to talk to people you agree with anyway, doesn't it?

Sure it does. We always gravitate towards our own kind. It's how segregation went on for as long as it did in this country.

But many of us crazies in the Democratic party think that we should be talking to EVERYONE. ALL the time. Well maybe not all the time. But to really keep an open mind and an open heart and hear all the sides, you do have to keep a door or window open, even when the wind that is blows in isn't from the direction you were hoping for.

I've had a few people tell me that the message that many of us Democrats seem to drip from our pores is that if they DON'T vote for Obama, that they are racist.

In fact, I have never said that about anyone, nor will I unless they make themselves known to me that they are indeed racist. Like my Racist Neighbor who yanked my Obama sign out of my yard because I was (in her words) "A Nigger lover".

I think it's fair to say she's a racist.

Then today I read this story. It comes from a favorite spot of mine on the web, a blog called "Racialicious".

This blog makes me squirm a lot. I'm a white girl. I squirm when I feel uncomfortable being nailed in between the eyes with a fact that while true, hurts nonetheless.

And I think often that that is what my friends who are so very squirmy right now about talking to me about politics. I make them uncomfortable.

But I hope that if nothing else, perhaps they think a little more about things before coming to their white girl conclusions, just as I try to.

But this race is so important. So very important.

There are amazing forces at work in this election. As the numbers increase every day towards a win for Obama, the hatred spewn out by those who are honestly starting to lose their heads over the fact that they won't be in power anymore is getting louder, more vicious, more desperate than ever.

It doesn't have to be that way at all.

That's all I got.

Peace.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net