Friday, May 09, 2008

Climbing On The Daddy Tree

Nora woke up this morning to something she hasn't had ALL week. Daddy getting her up and getting her fed, changed and hanging out, while Mommy slept in. I just got a cold, and Brian came home from a long week working out of Forks, WA (Far, Far Away), so nice guy that he is, he got up with her.

When I got up this morning, I commented on how happy Nora looked. "Well, she hasn't been put down all morning," Brian said. "She's just been climbing in the Daddy Tree."

Some people have asked me what he's getting me for Mother's Day, and I laughed, because Brian and I had that conversation as he was driving home from BFE, WA.

"I haven't gotten you anything," he said.

"Well, you know I'm waiting for those diamonds I've been bugging you about," I said.

Silence.

In fact, I haven't been bothering him about buying me anything sparkly.

I like the fake stuff because it's cheaper. And I don't run in the social circles where that kind of score is kept.

In reality, my Mother's Day this year will be celebrated because this is the first Mother's Day in 6 years where I won't have a quiet cry in the bathroom alone, mourning the fact that Mother's Day has been a knife in my heart for years.

No, this year, Mother's Day will be celebrated with lunch at my brother & sister's house, where we can enjoy and watch our kids -- some who have all but grown up -- and mine just starting out.

For me, every day since Nora's born has been a Mother's Day of sorts. I get to be a Mom to a very special baby girl whose eyes twinkle and grin when they see me, and who loves seeing her Daddy come home, and who likes to "climb the Daddy Tree" more than anything else in the world.

Happy Mother's Day to all who are mothers to living children. And to those who have angel babies waiting for you, gentle hugs to you.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net