Friday, June 13, 2008

Garage Sailing

We're having a garage sale this weekend. I'd say about 80 percent of our deluxe junk is from my brother and his wife, who own a farm, and therefore were looking forward to having a sister "in town" where we could really get some traffic.

I hate doing garage sales. Actually, I hate the preparation. Once it's on though, it's kinda fun, and very fascinating to see what other people think is cool.

One lady picked out a coffee mug, antique, but still uglier than sin, marked by my sister-in-law for $3 when all the other ones surrounding it were marked for 25 cents and under.

"Will you take $2 for this?" she asked.

"You bet," I said.

Then these little 4 and 6-year-old boys came over, and one of them spent an hour and a half looking at EVERYTHING there is left to sell.

He finally settled not on a toy, but on a red suitcase marked for $3.

I gave it to him at the "Big Kid's Discount of $2".

He dragged it home, and promptly came back because his little brother wanted one too, and he had another $2 for the other one.

And just an hour after that, we watched both boys take their new, filled-up suitcases to their Dad's car as they left for the weekend. They were so proud, you would have thought they had gotten the coolest new toy.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net