Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Silliness of Comparing Katrina to A Snowstorm

I received an e-mail from no less than three people since the Blizzards of '06/'07 started. The first time I read it, I laughed just a little, but then quickly realized it wasn't a joke at all -- but some lunatic's skewed view of comparing apples to elephants. I'm sure the people who sent it to me weren't trying to be disrespectful -- and I don't blame them -- only the jerk who wrote this.

Now, don't get panicky, I am at least going to give you a somewhat humorous response to this tripe.

Each time I read it, I responded to the senders to say I found it an insult to Hurricane Katrina victims. In no way can we compare the storms of snow that have hit Colorado to the Hurricane that devastated not just New Orleans -- which has at least garnered some media coverage (if not adequate government assistance) but MUCH more of the South -- including Alabama, Mississippi and large portions of Louisiana.

How can we compare 1600 lives lost -- 6600 missing in Katrina, to a few thousand dead COWS on the Eastern Plains of Colorado?

It started with (and I won't bother to publish it all here, but you need to get the gist of it to understand my fury):

Weather Bulletin - Denver

Up here, in the "Mile-Hi City", we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.
Jules' answer: George Bush did not come because the airport was closed and even Air Force One can't land in a blizzard when they can't see the runway.

FEMA did nothing. Jules' answer: No, but judging by some of the response for Katrina, we should count our blessings. But does a State of Emergency Count? The National Guard did come.

No one howled for the government. Jules' answer: Yes they did. We howled ad naseum that they weren't doing enough to clear the streets.

No one blamed the government. Jules' answer: Yes they did. We're still howling

No one even uttered an expletive on TV. Jules' answer: I saw one person say "Damn Snow", so yes they did. They threatened that the mayor (who's the most likeable guy since Santa Claus) wouldn't get re-elected if he didn't get the streets cleared of snow RIGHT NOW.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit. Jules' answer: They also did not come because the airport was closed.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else. Jules' answer: Our Mayor is a Democrat.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either. Jules' answer: Our Governor is also a Democrat.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Jules' answer: This is ridiculous to compare a snowstorm to a hurricane.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards. Jules' answer: Personally, I AM demanding a $2,000 debit card: and like many Hurricane Katrina Victims -- I am still waiting.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House. Jules' answer: I actually heard my boss with my own ears ask after storm #2 was bearing down on us if he could get a FEMA trailer -- so this is just not true.

No one looted. Jules' answer: People ARE stealing snow shovels because we're desperately low on supplies.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something. Jules' answer: This is also a lie (see above)

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either. Jules' answer: Is this guy slow? He's repeating himself now.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera. Jules' answer: The only persons who should show up here are The Rolling Stones or maybe Jude Law: That would make me feel better. Bill O'Reilly is a lying sack anyway, so who wants him?

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found. Jules' answer: This guy can't even spell Sean Penn correctly. If he wants to see celebrities this time of year, they're up in Aspen anyway.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water. Jules' answer: NOT POSSIBLE. The snow is too dry, and besides, my pipes didn't freeze, I still had water. Didn't Katrina victims have TOO MUCH WATER?!? How is this relevant?

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars. Jules' answer: I know of no caravans. But I did get offered a ride to work by my boss, and the National Guard was pulling people off of the Boulder Turnpike in Humvees...

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers. Jules' answer: I heard this was true -- in NEW MEXICO.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns. Jules' answer: My wood stove was not buried in 6 feet of water with snakes in it.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die". Jules' answer: People with extra clothes on after Hurricane Katrina, DROWNED. Here in Colorado, it's called "ski gear" and even as a non-skier I have some. So what's the point between my clothes and if I "work or die"?

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks. Jules' answer: I'm still trying to figure out what an Affirmative Action Government looks like, and whether welfare has anything to do with it, and whether people sitting on their asses on welfare vote.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate." Jules' answer: We are at the 40th parallel here in Colorado, so apparently our perfection is the statistical outlyer in this person's theory. I am also fairly sure this person has not traveled beyond the National Western Stock Show.

The world doesn't owe you a DAMN THING. Jules Answer: We don't owe these "people" anything -- RIGHT. Unless it's you or your family who's counted among the 1600 dead or 6600 missing, then I suppose you'd scream like murder.

I'd like to find the schmuck who wrote this piece of crap and go flatten his tires.

The snow is so deep he probably wouldn't even notice til he skidded out of control.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was pretty sure I had seen this before, long before the huge snows in CO. Did a quick check at Snopes, and sure enough, this horrid email started after a blizzard in the Dakotas in 2005. Whoever appropriated the original email wasn't even smart enough to change the line about latitude to fit the new blizzard location.

The kind of thinking displayed in this email is disgusting and implicitly racist. You don't lose your HOUSE in a blizzard. You don't lose your entire city. You don't drown. You don't fester in the Superdome for days without food or water as nothing is done to bring relief.

Grrrr, I'm sorry, I know I'm preaching to the converted, but this really angers me.

George "Loki" Williams said...

There will always be an asshole. Somewhere out there will be a stunted personality that gets his/her jollies from ad hominem arguments and childish malice.

From the depths of the disaster zone I say screw 'em!

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net