Saturday, April 01, 2006

Lucy's Grand Day Out



I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep for various reasons, and decided to get up.

I realized I'd left the dog outside last night and went to the garage to let her in. Well, Lucy wasn't in the garage, where she usually sleeps on her pillow.

I whistled for her, and I didn't hear anything. So in my bathrobe and Crocs, out I went. I whistled again softly -- it is, after all, 4 a.m. and I didn't want to waken the neighbors.

Finally, I hear a jingling noise that I know is her collar, so I know she's close, but she's not coming around the corner from the yard at all. She's outside the fence!

I let her in, then went out front and found the front fence open. Brian must have left it open after he went back there to water some of our bushes.

I was relieved that she stayed so close for so long. Usually dogs can really wander if they're so inclined, and I can't help but wonder how far she did wander. Did she go to the lake? Did she go down to the creek? Did she get to go kick some ass down at that stupid dog PeeWee's house, who comes and pees in our yard? Did she have any close calls with cars? I can't think of a single time in her 7 years that she's gotten out and not been brought back quickly -- maybe a few minutes at the most.

What an adventure for her! She's been moping around since I haven't taken her to the lake recently. After 6 or 7 hours on her own, she bounded in the house like she had a good time, but you could tell she was happy to be back.

Now, 15 minutes later, she's already asleep on her pillow, and I'm sitting here still wide awake.

Oh, the life of a dog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a scary feeling when you can't find your pet! I am so glad you found her safe and sound!

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net