Monday, August 11, 2008

Daunting, But Doable

I had this image in my head of myself, and I decided to just TAKE a picture of myself sitting just like that, and play with it on my photo program til it illustrated how I feel.

After much consideration of my future, and the future of my family, I've decided I need to go back to school, and I've decided to become a registered nurse.

So today, I went to the local Community College that has a nursing program, and talked with an advisor there. Two of them, actually.

I can't begin to tell you how daunting it is to realize that you basically have to start over with school in order to start a new career.

It'll take a year and a half of pre-requisites like Chemistry and Anatomy/Physiology just to apply to the program, then two more years of school after that.

I have no idea how we'll handle childcare, how much can be done online, and how much this is going to cost or how the heck we'll pay for it.

But in the end, it will be the best thing for our family to have one of us technically trained and able to work in a growing field. With times being tough and probably getting tougher, it's essential I think for my whole family to move forward with this.

And as I sat there in the appointment, feeling overwhelmed, I realized one thing:

I'll be done when I'm 45 if I start now. If I don't start now, I'm still going to be 45 years old four years from now.

So I'm going to need all the help I can get, but I might as well get going.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net