Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Things We Do...

My friend Kristy probably really didn't think I'd go for it.

But I did.

And I think it's a good idea for everyone.

Kristy used to date my nephew Trevor, who goes to school at Georgia Tech. But last spring after they broke up, she got stuck with a Spring Break plane ticket, at the time I was headed in the same general direction for Jenny's wedding.

So she floated the idea of going with me, and I said "SURE!"

I'm a road trip kinda gal. I like the art and science that goes with long hours on the road, negotiating truck stops and potty breaks, and how to eat better than McDonald's when stuck somewhere like Central Montana.

And here we are just a few months later, and Kristy's going to college at Tennessee Tech.

So Kristy just floated the idea of me going with her, I said "SURE!"

So tomorrow we're off.

I'm packing up Miss Nora to spend the week with her Oma (Brian's Mom), and at some point tomorrow, we're leaving for the longest road trip I've ever been on.

I've been back and forth between Denver and Seattle (24 hours), but this is a 36-hour road trip, with a stop in Chicago.

It's hard to leave my baby. Boy, it's harder than I ever imagined!

But the thing that really does it for me -- is that a lot of people wouldn't leave their baby for 5 days while they drive cross-country -- and that is PRECISELY why I'm doing it.

At Nora's earliest ages, I want her to know that Mommy DOES THINGS. And through my example, she will decide that that's the way life is lived, so she will too.

And this is for my friend Kristy. She's a great person. Not really great. She's FABULOUS.

Our trip to Savannah was so much fun, I can't imagine a better road trip partner than my own husband, so I know we'll have a great time.

I often wonder if her parents see the wonderfulness of their daughter the way some of us outside the family do, and if they are willing to share her with the rest of the world the way I hope they would be.

I know it's got to be hard to say goodbye to their oldest girl heading off to college.

But I also know that she's going to be a raging success wherever she goes.

And I'm just happy to be able to help drive her there.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net