Thursday, July 21, 2005

Terrorists and Their Copycats


London's Trafalgar Square, with Big Ben in the background. Posted by Picasa

I was saddened to hear of an additional terror attack on London this morning. Just two weeks ago, 50+ people were killed as an orchestrated attack to the city's transportation attack occurred within minutes of each other.

Today, I woke up to similar news, only to find that as I watched the developments, it's believed that the "bombers" were actually copycats, and that fortunately, there was no loss of life.

As most humans on the planet with access to the news wonder, "what are they thinking?"

I spend some time on a couple of websites that have discussion boards concerning travel to Europe. While some people are stupid enough to think that terrorists=Islamic people, and others think that all Muslims are terrorists, most of us know that is not the case.

Others discuss whether they should travel to London now that the bombinbs have occurred -- yet again.

I guess if I was going in two weeks, I'd wonder too. Instead, my husband and I are flying to London in September, and still plan on going. There is no reason in my mind to alter my plans for some terrorist or their even more pathetic versions, the copycats who do something like this just to gain attention.

I was in London in 2003 -- it was my first trip to Europe, and my husband and I took a long trip across Europe, starting in the U.K., and heading to Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, Athens, Izmir and Istanbul.

When I stepped out of the Westminster Tube station, I saw Big Ben, looming large in front of me, and I cried actual tears. What a lovely city, what a wonderful people, and what a fabulous time we had hanging out in Trafalgar Square, seeing Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London and its Crown Jewels. The historical records room at the British Library wow'd me with original documents of everything from The Magna Carta, Shakespeare's original works, and the napkin John Lennon wrote "Yesterday" on.

No, I will not be swayed. I figure I still have a better chance of getting killed driving my car in Colorado or crossing the street.

Just in London, I have to look to the right instead of the left.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net