Saturday, June 25, 2005

They're Not The "Big Breasts" in French


The Grand Tetons Posted by Hello

Even my Dad said to me one time as we drove through the Grand Tetons the last summer he was alive, that he thought "The Grand Tetons" meant "The Big Breasts" in French.

I'm not sure where that came from...and maybe it's true, but after going through my big French dictionary, I couldn't find anything to support that American myth.

On Wednesday morning this past week, I drove from Mammoth Hot Springs in North Yellowstone, stopping at the Fountain Paint Pots and Old Faithful, before heading south through The Grand Teton National Park before coming home to Denver. This picture was taken at about 9 a.m., and despite my antsiness to get home, and the fact that I had just passed the slowest, worst driver ever, I was willing to pull over for a moment at the edge of the lake to snap this photo.

I'm finding as I age, and live in the Mile High City longer and longer, that I am fascinated by mountains. Their majesty of soaring to great heights in short distances, their foreboding presence when you contemplate what it would take to climb them, all make me love to look at them and wonder at the great creation that is Earth.

I've driven and traveled the United States fairly often in my 38 years. I've been to Miami Beach, New York City, Southern California and Seattle, Washington, so I've seen the four corners essentially, of our continental USA.

But in the heart of it, right up the middle, are Rocky Mountains, with alpine lakes, rivers and streams and majestic mountains that put me in awe. The Grand Tetons is one of those places as well. To quote Yakov Shmirnoff, the Russian comedian "What a beautiful country."

2 comments:

Sheri said...

A dream of mine Jules, is to see mountains like those. Here in New England, the mountains are bascially small hills compared to the grand ones out west. someday...someday... I will see them

Your trip sounds fun. Hope you have more pictures to post!

Tammy said...

You are so right. "What a beautiful country..." I too am a lover of the mountains and long to live there. The Tetons, "your" Rockies (I say that because as a little girl we lived there and then traveled there lots and I would always say "we're going to MY Rockies") and dare I say, the Canadian Rockies are all so majestic, beautiful...

Glad you had such a great trip full of so many memories.

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net