Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rest In Peace, Farrah


I remember when Steve Simon brought in the now-famous Farrah Fawcett poster to our third grade classroom and put it up on the wall, much to the horror of our teachers. It wasn't up for long, but we all got to see Farrah in all her youthful glory in that bright red swimsuit and that dazzling smile and Farrah Hair.

She was the beauty standard for most of us girls growing up in the late 1970s. And she managed to stay beautiful for many decades after.

I remember wanting to have her hair, but I was a brunette and always would be. I had stick straight hair to her curly locks, and there was no getting around that back then. When I played "Charlie's Angels" with my friends, I usually ended up being Sabrina because my friend Dhana had long dark hair and had more similarities to Jacqueline Smith's character.

Despite the form of cancer being a rather embarrassing one to have to mention in polite company, Farrah remained classy to the end, with the love of her life beside her.

Rest In Peace, Farrah. In the end, you're an icon of our culture that we won't forget. That kind of legacy is a rare thing.

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net