Friday, July 02, 2010

Why I Want To Be A Nurse (Thanks Kristen)

I think a lot of people wonder what kind of nurse I'll make. Or maybe they already know, or worse, THINK they know.

But for me, it's fairly simple. Like any career where you deal with people during tragedy (as I did as a journalist), you see the best and worst of people, you try to help as best you can. Sometimes you have to step back and just provide the information and hope people use it wisely.

My decision to become a nurse blends both my wish to be of help to others, to use the knowledge I gained as a result of many years of medical experience while we tried to have a baby; and the wish to learn something new that will allow me to use my brain, my skills (some yet to be learned!) and to make a difference in the lives of others. As I read this I see that it's always been my condition to be in each of these situations -- so really it's just a matter of the venue in which I will experience these that will change.


Being a NURSE Means...

You will never be bored
You will always be frustated
You will be surrounded by challenges
So much to do and so little time
You will carry immense responsibility
And very little authority
You will step into people's lives
And you will make a difference
Some will bless you
Some will curse you
You will see people at their worst --
And at their best
You will never cease to be amazed
At people's capacity for
Love, courage and endurance
You will see life begin -- and end
You will experience resounding triumphs
And devastating failures
You will cry a lot
You will laugh a lot
You will know what it is to be human
And to be humane

~Melodie Chenevert RN

No comments:

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net