Saturday, February 19, 2005

"Panic Won't Pay The Mortgage"

I just got laid off from my job on Friday. I knew it was coming, but it didn't save me from having a hard time with it.

Work had slowed to a crawl as my job duties were transferred to people out of state, and I found myself often walking the dog in the mid-afternoon, starting dinner before my husband got home -- living the life of a part time stay-at-home wife. I tried enjoy the time because I think everyone sees people walking their dogs in the mid-afternoon and wish they could too, but instead they have meetings or other places they're driving to.

But when D-Day came, for some reason it felt strange. I'm sure on Monday when I wake up with nowhere I have to be it will feel even stranger.

This morning I realized that we have a $1,200 tax bill along with my unemployment...that it is going to be tight in the coming weeks unless I find a job quickly. As I started to tell my husband how nervous I was about this (perhaps overstating my feelings by saying I was "scared out of my mind", which in reality I don't think I've ever been), my husband had the perfect words for me: "Panicking Won't Pay the Mortgage".

Well, if he's not right again. I guess if I sat around and got all depressed and didn't leave the house for several weeks, that's not going to get me a job either. Ha.

My husband is one of those people who can tell me "It's going to be all right" and I believe him. He has a way of making me realize that we're in this together, and despite the ups and downs our lives have taken these past 5 years of marriage, we're a team.

I got an internet joke today about how it was a "chain letter" but instead of a letter, we were to pack up our husbands, send them to the person at the top of the list, and in a week I'd get 15,124 more husbands, and one of them had to be better than the one I had. I laughed as I read it to my spouse...I wouldn't trade him for anything, not even 15,124 other choices no matter how rich or otherwise different they may be.

Yeah, I'm lucky.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

No, mine's better, lol! Really, Jules he is a gem and YOU my friend are blessed. Wishing you a speedy job search and the chance to relax in the meantime.

akiey5 said...

I wish you find the best job out there to bring you the greatest happiness you & your supportive husband surely deserve.
I've been there only somewhat worse I guess coz it happened when I had no one, absolutely no one to turn to but God does provide & for an entire 13 months after I had to quit my job I got more work than I could have imagined possible while I was employed(I work with languages). The past 2 months have been very slow but I'm trying to be focused even as I wonder what's gonna happen next.
Stay positive & be there for that man:)

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net