Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Super Fun Mammogram

I remember hearing about mammograms to some extent, but I don't know how I missed hearing the full description of what goes on in there, but I did.

I found a lump. Actually I've pretty much had it since I breastfed Nora for a little while, and it never went away.

I wasn't that worried about it because it felt like the same milk duct was backed up and just never drained, and that's basically what they found out on Monday.

But FIRST, I got to have my first mammogram.

It's really quite funny, and a lot less painful or uncomfortable than say, getting dental x-rays.

Except for the whole pull-and-lay-your-boob-on-a-flat-surface-then-squeeze-it-in-plexi-glass part.

Yeah. H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't done a mammogram, do it.

The Mammographer was fabulous. She loves her job, not for the boob-pulling part but because her job literally saves lives.

What a great job to have, wouldn't you say?

I drove up to Portland for the procedure...since it hadn't been that long since I quit breastfeeding, they expected to find plenty of lumps, which they did. Then we did an ultrasound on the offending lump, and within 20 minutes I heard the Radiologist had examined both tests and I was determined to not have cancer, but instead a benign cyst.

Not only did I get instant results -- which I wasn't expecting until my consult with the surgeon next week -- but the results were good.

No biggie. And fixable.

And I slept better last night than I have in a month.

3 comments:

Teri said...

>>>>Letting out a big sigh of relief! WHEW! Loves.

Sheri said...

I'm so glad that everything is turnign out well with your lump scare. Isn't it amazing to look down and see your boob the size of a small turkey platter bewteen plexiglass? Holy Sh-t!!!

Tammy said...

I am so glad it's not a big deal. I can't tell you how glad. Probably not as glad as you are but you get the picture. The mammogram sounds "fun". My first will be in December at my first annual following my 40th (which is next month...yikes!!)

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net