Sunday, May 20, 2007

Happy Anniversary To Us


It's been seven years!

I've known my husband Brian since I was 14. I met him in the summer of 1981, just before my freshman year in high school, and he was a junior. His big brother David and my brother Jeff were best friends, and Brian was "tagging along" when he came over to our house to play D&D or Risk or something equally geeky. I fell for him immediately.

I chased him all through high school and college, and most of the time he ran the other way. I even joined band with my Dad's trumpet so I could have a class with him my sophomore year. We didn't date until my senior year when he came home from college for Christmas Break, and then we dated for years off and on, mostly off, until he went to graduate school in Colorado, and we broke up "permanently". I married someone else the next year.

He showed up in my life a few times while I was married (since his sister married my brother he was in the family), and he played music at my Dad's funeral, but other than that I didn't see him much.

After I got divorced in 1996, DH called me out of the blue in 1998 (yeah, nothing like waiting a good 2 years, LOL) and said he was coming to Seattle for a camping trip and some friend's wedding, and asked if I wanted to have lunch with him. I was dating someone at the time, so nothing happened. Except Brian kept trying to hold my hand the whole time. LOL. We went to a mutual friend's house for dinner, and Alison took me to the store, and we were barely in the car when she blurted out "WHY AREN'T YOU TWO TOGETHER?". I told her I lived in Seattle and he was in Denver, and.. and.. and.. excuses. When I left Brian that night I gave him a hug that he said "lasted long enough that I knew I still meant something to you."

By the end of the summer, I had broken up with the guy I was seeing, and Brian got an internet connection, and before we knew it, we were talking to each other in AOL chat rooms and sending e-mails. By the next spring, I came to see him in Denver, and by the next summer of 1999, he moved to Seattle to be with me and we quickly got engaged.

In the spring of 2000, 5/20/2000, DH and I married in his parents' back yard. It was a beautiful day, and his brother Peter performed the ceremony, and most of the family was either in the wedding or did something for it. The few non-relative friends who came said they felt like they crashed a family reunion, since both sides knew each other so well. Brians sister Judy and my brother Jeff had been married for 13 years at that point.


DH and I have walked through fire together these past 5 years of trying to have a baby. And as you know some things have been rougher than others, but we've stuck together, with a love that's true. This morning he and I woke up and I showed him my tummy, and it MOVED. We both sat there (while I tried holding my breath) and watched the kid go from side to side a couple of times before settling in. We're 17 weeks today.

I love my Brian more than anything. He has proved his love and devotion to me, and I try to do the same. He is, as my mom says, like my father who was "loyal, faithful & true."

AND, I must add, he's a good kisser.

Thanks for letting me share.

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net