Thursday, July 27, 2006

Jacob's Ladder For My Mom



One of the beauties of the fact that my Mom doesn't read my blog much, if at all, is that I can post this here.

A couple of days ago, I got a bright idea: That I would spend some of my remaining time off making a quilt for my Mom.

This design is called "Jacob's Ladder".

I plan on making more than one quilt in this design -- my original idea was to make one for Brian and me, but then I got the bright idea to make a smaller one for my Mom first.

Her tremendous support for me during our loss is so deeply appreciated. She and my sister both came to town and stayed with us. Mom stayed here for nearly 2 weeks, cried with me sometimes, and sometimes just sat with me.

I feel so blessed to have a Mom who is not only my "Mommy" to dry my tears, but she is also a friend -- and since this happened, it brought us even closer together.

I have spent the last couple of days working very hard on this quilt for Mom, and it's proving to be easier in some respects that I thought it would be, but a challenge in others.

Whenever you make a quilt in high-contrast colors, the edges have to be perfect, or it shows. As I've worked on this, I've realized how good it feels to be sewing again, to use my creativity, and do something I love so much for someone so incredibly special.

Thanks, Mom. I love you.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Your mom sounds like a very special woman. I"m so glad you have her in your life.

Beautiful quilt choice as well.

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful quilt pattern. I am glad that your mother has been such a supportive friend to you. I love your idea to make the quilt for her in remembrance of Jacob. XOXOX

MissHelen said...

I think making that pattern is a great idea. BTW, I always liked your mom a lot, and it's wonderful that she supported you as much as she did. Hugs to all of you...
h.

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net