Friday, October 14, 2005

People I Admire


Winston Churchill's Statue in London's Westminster Square Posted by Picasa

I don't know a lot about Winston Churchill, but after my recent trip to London, I know more.

We went to the Cabinet War Rooms, where Winston Churchill, who was then Prime Minister, hunkered down and planned and coordinated resistence to Nazi attacks during World War II.

The War Rooms are in the basement of a large government complex not far from Buckingham Palace and Westminster, and the audio tour was outstanding -- giving one the feel of what it must have been like to live there, from the secretary/typists to his closest advisors.

The reason I posted this picture is that Sir Winston Churchill said he did NOT want a statue of himself put up in the square, because pigeons would just poop on him.

So, the English came up with a compromise, and that was to wire the statue with a small electrical current -- one that would shun birds from landing on him, and would be harmless to people.

Notice how clean he is?

I thought that was hilarious.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

That is too much!!!!! Who knew???? Hubby is a huge Winston Churchill fan, a man with some guts (and obviously a sense of humor...you can also tell that in his writings!) if you ask me. In fact, Winston is on our list as a middle name if we are ever blessed with a son.

Lauren said...

That's a hoot! I agree -- Sir Winston was quite a guy. I have enjoyed reading him - he has a fabulous sense of humor.

Keep writing! I love it!!!

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net