Saturday, November 26, 2005

Standing in Someone Else's Shoes


Rail Fence Quilt Posted by Picasa

In a million years, I never would have put these fabrics, this rail fence quilt pattern and these colors together.

But I did it anyway.

I took a friend, who's 7 months pregnant, to the fabric store last weekend. I make my closer friends quilts for their babies, and lately there've been a lot.

She had some ideas for the quilt -- that she wanted to do a "jungle theme", and wanted greens, browns, reds and blues in it. When we got to the fabric store, she picked out the fabrics and we headed out to lunch.

I asked her a couple of times if she REALLY wanted this pattern -- it's so simple I put it together in a matter of a few days. She fortunately is one of those people who know so little about quilting that anything looks complicated. :)

So, I went ahead and did it. As I was putting it together, I wasn't thrilled with it, but then it started to come together, and I started to like it.

Now that the top is done, I think it's great.

It always amazes me how my taste in fabric and patterns is so different from others. It always amazes me how if I don't fight someone else's taste and just do what they ask for, how I can see the beauty of their preferences after it's done and I can see the whole picture.

What a metaphor for life, huh?

Too often, I think what I do, and the way I do it is the right way -- or at least the best way. But oftentimes I shortchange myself by thinking so narrowly.

Live and learn, Gram always said.

Amen.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

I love the quilt Jules! You are so talented.

3outta5 said...

Man, I hear ya.... I share that same "thing" with you -- of feeling like if people could just UNDERSTAND the way I think things are/should be, then they WOULD agree with me.

HA.

I need to learn to just shut the %$#& up.

About the quilt. It is AWESOME. I can't say those would have been colors I would have ever personally chosen (being more of a purple/green person myself) but it sure came out NICE!!!!!! You are really talented. What a great thing to be able to CREATE like that!

Sheri said...

beautiful quilt Jules. I'm betting your friend is giong to love it!

Sloganizer

generated by sloganizer.net
There was an error in this gadget